Friday, October 28, 2016

Day 33
Tuesday, October 10, 2016

Sometimes, as I count the days, I wonder if I will have enough information to keep this journal interesting for everyone to read. Then something different happens and I think “Ahhh; I need to tell people about this!”
So many postings have centered on food, what to eat, what not to eat and how to take care of the hardware after you eat. Let’s face it, eating is a big part of our day. We eat when we are happy, sad, jubilant, depressed or celebrating an event. For people wearing braces, it might not be so fun because so many celebration foods are on the Do Not Eat list I received from Dr. Jusino.
Birthday cake, however, is not a forbidden food and in our
office, with 11 team members, there is usually a birthday to celebrate every time we blink an eye. Recently, we celebrated Terrie’s special day with an amazingly soft cake with perfectly whipped frosting that was like eating a cloud. It was an enormous cake allowing generous slices for everyone. It was my lunch that day and I enjoyed every morsel.

About an hour after eating my slice of cake, my mouth felt very dry and the cheek tissues started sticking to my braces. After another hour, the braces felt like they were brand new, bugging my lips and sending me to look for wax to put over the brackets that were causing irritation. After much thought, I am convinced that the concentration of sugar in the cake and frosting dried the skin on the inside of my mouth so that it was no longer slippery and the braces felt rough.  Though the cake was outstanding, the amount of sugar in it was too much to handle. Even though I brushed right away, the sugar must have pulled all the moisture from the tissue in my mouth. It was pretty sore for the next 36 hours but was manageable with strategically placed wax. It’s likely that a teenager going through braces would never notice the impact of sugar on their oral tissue. However, as a adults, our bodies are much less adaptable to ‘drama’ in our foods (sugar, spice, heat etc.) and respond poorly when they are on input overload. Note to self…watch the food extremes because they can change the oral environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment