Monday, February 6, 2017

Monday February 6, 2017
Week 22

I continue to be amazed at the effects the elastics are having on my bite and my appearance. I Like what I see and it's happening Fast. My biggest challenge is to keep in mind what Mary Margaret, Dr. Jusino's assistant, told me; "take the elastics out only for ten minutes when you eat a meal or brush your teeth and remember to put them back in right away". I am a slow eater and with all this hardware in my mouth, I'm even slower now, taking care not to bite my lips. So, my elastics might be out for 30 minutes at a time...but I am diligent about putting them back in place (with a fresh set!) when the meal is over. Since things continue to change, I have to believe that my system is working. I'll find out for sure at my next visit when I am 'evaluated' (numerically scored) for compliance with elastics. I'm hoping for a "1" !
Today's entry is brief so I am using it to give a 'shout-out' to all of my adult patients who are also undergoing orthodontic treatment. I am pictured here with Marylou, who gave hearty consent for the use of her photo in my blog. When she was in the office recently and saw my 'new' brackets in place, she welcomed me into the Club. As adults, we are kindred spirits in this process and feel a connection with one another because we 'get-it'.  We understand the commitment, we understand the challenges and we understand the benefits to be reaped. As more of my patients see me wearing my brackets with pride, more of them are taking our adult-orthodontic recommendations to heart; if they are not yet making the commitment, they are a little closer to embracing the long-term health benefits that can be achieved.  As I told one person recently, there is no self-interest in my recommending orthodontic treatment for them; Dr. Clark and I do not provide orthodontic treatment in our office so the only benefit is truly for the patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment