Tuesday, July 11, 2017


Tuesday July 11, 2017
Week 44


Today's topic is about travelling while in the middle of orthodontic care. Being 'on the road' is different from being at home for a number of reasons. With a little advance planning, your orthodontic treatment will fit seamlessly into your travels away from home.

First, be aware that your routine is disrupted.  While at home in familiar surroundings, brushing (and flossing!) in the morning, throughout the day and at night is often triggered by routine; getting out of bed, eating lunch, going to bed etc. While traveling, these routines and familiar sights are altered so your mental triggers may no longer be in place. You'll know quickly when this happens but being aware of it in advance can help you plan.  Setting an alarm on your phone, sending an email to yourself or other digital reminder options can help you keep up with your regular oral hygiene care.

Second, you need to make sure you have enough of your home-care products (toothbrush, toothpaste, fluoride, flossers, superfloss, elastics etc.) to last for your entire absence from home  plus enough for a couple of days of 'insurance' in the event your travel plans are disrupted. If traveling by air, carry these items with you onto the plane so they are always within reach. Recently, I had the good fortune to travel to London but had the misfortune to be delayed by weather conditions. I found myself sitting in the airport for 10 hours, long after expecting to be ready to land at my destination. After snacks and meaIs at the airport, I was glad to have my toothpaste, brush and floss in my carry-on bag. While I also had these items in my checked luggage, it was nice to be able to brush-up while waiting....and it gave me something to do besides sit and watch the clock. Fear not being embarassed with brushing etc in public restrooms. I discovered at least one other person doing the same thing every time I was tending to my own oral hygiene needs. 


Finally, even if you get thrown from your routine and oral hygiene care, remember to at least change your prescribed elastics frequently throughout the day or at least when enjoying a snack or a meal.  Keeping a package in your purse, pocket or backpack will make this easy to do. You will be able to discreetly remove the ones your are currently wearing, discard them in a napkin and slide in a new set at the end of the snack or meal. Your travelling companions will not mind and Dr. Jusino will be very pleased with your effort! 


Hopefully the information in my blogs is helpful but I am also realistic to know that the photos I post keep it interesting! Today's photos depict the following: Above: morning tea and snack with elastics ready for replacing when I'm done. Below left: Discovering my friend's signature on the ceiling at White Horse Inn, Dover, England. She was the fastest US swimmer to cross the English Channel in 2011 in 11 hours, 31 minutes (21 miles). All swimmers who successfully cross the channel are invited to autograph the walls/ceiling at White Horse Inn. It is the oldest pub in Dover with the building dating to 1365! The food was delicious and the menu offered the most authentic English fare I have seen on any of my three trips to the UK. Below right: I am standing atop Dover Castle which is the largest castle in England and dates to the 11th century. Dover Castle has been of defensive significance to England throughout history. Its underground tunnels and bunkers were strategic command and operation centers during WWII. Below: a charming 'shingle' identifying dental care available near historic Covent Garden, London.
                   





No comments:

Post a Comment